Easy Ways to Address Roofing Problems
Roofs are an important part of the home as they keep the internal mechanisms dry and functioning. However, with time the roofing materials age and can allow water intrusion to occur, leading to expensive repairs or replacements, in severe cases.
The National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA) said, “Too often, homeowner ignore their roofs until they leak — and often, at that point, the homeowners have to completely replace them.”
This is no easy or cheap task, but taking these precautionary measures can save you big time in the long run.
There are many things you can do and should keep an eye on when it comes to your roof.
For prospective homeowners and those in the process of selling, roofing problems are very common issues that home inspectors find. Evaluating the roof can be a huge factor when it comes to making the final decision in a home purchase.
Types of Roofing Materials
This is not a complete list, but a sampling of the more common/economical materials.
- Asphalt will last anywhere between 15-40 years, and with time they will cup upward or down and begin to blister, exposing the material that holds the product together.
- Wood shingles and shakes are susceptible to cupping, curling, lifting, splitting, insect damage, rotting and missing sections.
- Terra cotta, concrete and slate tiles have longer life expectancies of 20 to 100 years, but are very fragile and can be caused to crack or loosen with seasonal changes.
- Clean your roof often; don’t let branches, piles of leaves, or other debris collect. They can hold moisture and lead to rot.
- Replace broken, cracked, or missing tiles or shingles ASAP. They protect the waterproof barrier of your roof and long-term exposure to the sun can deteriorate this.
- Examine pipes, vents, skylights, chimneys, etc. that have an exit on the roof. Specifically be on the lookout for any damage (small tears, lifted edges, etc.) to the seals around these protrusions. They can get messed up thanks to various critters that make their way to the top of our homes.
Telltale Signs of Problems
- Dark spots or mold on roof or deck.
- Water damage inside the home.
- Black streaks on shingles are a sign of old age.
- Moisture in the attic or a musty smell.
Each of these do not equate to an automatic crisis, but they are things you’ll want to keep your eye on and address as soon as possible if you come across them.
By adding a simple roof review to your mix of house chores, you can save yourself big bucks and time by preventing any major roofing problem.
If you’re preparing your home to go on the market, you can anticipate a home inspector will check out the roof for any of these issues.
We Can Help!
If you’re preparing to buy or sell a home schedule an inspection with us today, we’ll get to you in 48 hours or less!
TAGGED : Address Roofing Problems, Easy Ways to Address Roofing Problems, home safety, Roofing Problems